Friday, March 4, 2011

Ready to Write!

I went on my community blog page today and noticed some things I had not paid much attention to before. Under my sign-in name, I am listed as a "new author". Other people have a designation under their names of "official member". I do not yet know how you get from one lable to the next. A week or two ago, I commented on some stories I read. Today, I found that one of the authors thanked me for my comment. Then I remembered reading somewhere that this community thinks highly of the amount of "thanks" you receive from others. It shows the community that you are making thoughtful comments in the interest of helping your fellow writers become better at their craft. It is also important for you to "thank" others. I like this idea and I am taking more notice of how people who have many "thanks" are responding. They really do take great care to encourage others, even if all their comments are not favorable. One person noted some very positive things about a fellow writer before sharing some confusion he had about another part of the writing. The author "thanked" him, and then explained why he had written what he did. This seems to me to be a very valuable exchange.

I also found a contest for prose. The contest initiators provide the theme and we provide the prose in 2000 words or less. The contestants are scored on grammar and mechanics as well as content and staying within the word limit. The theme is "unknown memories" and I plan to enter. I look forward to telling you how this goes...

7 comments:

  1. Darlene,
    That's very an interesting concept that you shared of "thanks" and making sure that plenty of it is going around. It makes sense that the exchange of thanks is valued in relationships where each of you are giving of yourselves by sharing your writing and commenting on others. Rather than getting caught up with feeling vulnerable or defensive you can just go ahead and continue to share thoughts and ideas freely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your community so far seems friendly and welcoming. It is nice that they took extra time to say a friendly "thanks." Keep doing what you are doing and posting and I am sure in no time you will also become a member of the group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience you seem to be having with your discussion group. We can all use some positive comments in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited you can enter into a contest! This week was a shadow day for 6th grade honor students. They were previewing our school to choose which one they want to go to next year. Each student in 6th grade is REQUIRED to write a novel (a short one), but a chapter book for an assignment in school! Wow, they were all so excited for this. I wish you luck writing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really neat that people are still courteous and kind out there. I am glad to see that some people are nice out there. A lot of the time in class, I have to remind my 6th graders to use please and thank you. I wish you good luck on the contest. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie,

    Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin,

    I look forward to hearing how your sixth graders did with their writing!

    ReplyDelete