Sunday, February 20, 2011

Walking the Writer's Beat...

I just finished spending time on my community website and I posted my first comments. I found a place where they have writing contests. Someone gives a prompt and writers respond. The prompt here was, "Unknown Memories". The contest rules said you could write in any style, but not use more than 2000 words. I read two full stories, Coffee Memories and Ramona, and half of another story. I really enjoyed both of these stories and went to the thread to make comments. I also looked at other peoples' comments and I liked the way that commentors took the time to say what they liked and why and they also pointed out things that were a problem for them and explained why. This kind of constructive criticism seems both respectful and helpful to me. Also on this comment thread people can ask the staff questions about contest rules or other things they may not understand. These conversations are a little confusing to me, but maybe they will get clearer after I have been around for a while. Last week a found a discussion thread where people just talk about topics. They had a topic about homosexuality and some of the comments there seemed harsh and vulgar. I do not know what the community does about this. I have not been back there since and I plan to stay away. I like the contests and people's responses. I will learn from these people how to give the same respectful and helpful criticism before I respond to a story I do not like!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Darlene,
    Sounds like a great forum for you. I wonder if writers learn from reading other writers stuff the way I as a teacher learn from watching other teachers teach. The site sounds like one I would enjoy too. I hope you're finding some time to relax and write yourself these days. I look forward to seeing if you post any of your work on the forum and if you think it was worth while to get the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you have the desire to learn from others! You are a true teacher! I am excited to keep up with your blog the next 9 weeks we walk this course together.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete