Monday, February 14, 2011

I think I've got it now!

Okay, I watched Professor Lee's podcast (again), and realized that I forgot to add the word "forum" or "bulletin board" to my google search. This time I did it and found a writer's site where published and unpublished authors meet. It is, http://www.writersbeat.com/ Members join for free and write stories and poetry. There are contests to enter and threaded discussions in which to engage. The site puts out a quarterly newsletter in which I found some very interesting prose. One member, Brandon Walsh, had members vote his story, "The Princess of Kosovo: A Memoir",  to be in the newsletter. Though I felt the story could use a bit of editing, it was a very gripping tale and I was glad this member won. I encountered a poem that did not rhyme much, but I really liked it anyway (this is unusual for me). It was called, "Paper Garden", by Fegger (I am sure this is an online name). One more thing I found quite fascinating was something called, "Writer's Vault". It seems that the writer of this section finds about a half dozen antiquated words and defines them for readers. I am not yet sure if all the words come from the Victorian Era, or just the ones in this quarterly issue. Anyway, members have the opportunity to write and submit a piece called "flash fiction" in which they use one or more of the outdated words. Winners of this contest have their entries published in the quarterly newsletter. It seems like a lot of fun. I only hope I can balance my time there with my homework!

2 comments:

  1. Darlene,
    I think that the forum you found is just perfect for you and your intrests. The quarterly newsletter is something I will review for my online form to see if they additionaly provide this. Although I have found that my inbox seems abundently full with spam from the online forum at all hours of the day! Good luck with balancing your time between online work and online play. Simmilar to you I found myself wondering for hours in my online forum facinated with information and insightfull information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darlene, I am glad you found a forum to join so easily! I have changed mine three different times! I finally found one that seems to be a good fit. Can you go to my blogspot again and see if you can post a message now? I know you tried before and it didn't work. No one has been there so I don't know if there is still a problem or not. Thanks! Lisa
    http://mrswilsonsdesk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete