Sunday, September 23, 2012

For the joy...



Last night I was getting my backpack ready for church today. Today was my day to teach and I like to have things to help the children connect with the lesson so I carry them in my backpack. I needed more things than usual for today. Furthermore, I walk to church on the Sunday mornings I teach so that my husband can drive to second service and we can attend together. It is a twenty-five to thirty minute walk (depending on my paceJ). Normally, I love walking to church and I usually do not have much to carry.

I noticed last night that with every item I packed I had the same thought; Oh, this is going to make the bag heavy.  In went 3 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, 1 ½ cups of water, table decorations, some miscellaneous items and finally my Bible; My Bible is BIG!

I needed everything I packed, but with every item I packed, my desire to walk to church decreased; I did not want to bear the load. Yet with the decreasing desire, came the inspiring thoughts; Jesus bore a cross.

Jesus did not just bear something heavy, He bore something shameful, and messy. Why did He do this? My Bible tells me Jesus did it because He loves me; In fact He loves the whole world!

I do not have to bear any shame. I get to teach some children about the love of God in Christ. I may sweat a little getting to church, but I am not going to bleed. With every thought, my apprehension waned while my joy increased.

Only God can give joy and peace in forgetting about ourselves.

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Hebrews 12:2
“…looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment